Can You Host Multiple Websites on GreenGeeks?
GreenGeeks is an American company specialized in web hosting. Their platform was made to work while being environmentally friendly. This isn’t something you see every day. But it’s nice they care about this side of things. Are they capable though to host multiple websites in one single account? This is the question we’ll answer in this article. But before that, we have to make clear what hosting plan is best, to work with multiple websites.
Why Choose Shared Hosting for Multiple Websites?
As you can see from the heading, we’ll talk a little about shared hosting. I’ll give you some of the advantages that come with using it as a hosting service for multiple websites. But before that, let’s see what shared hosting really is in general:
The main difference between web hosting in general and shared web hosting is the method/process itself. To host a website online, first you need to choose a plan, purchase it and then upload all your site’s files on to the server. Once you did that, a domain name is also mandatory. You can buy it from the host itself in most cases. This is how a website will be hosted online. But what’s the difference I mentioned?
If you sign up for a shared hosting plan, the resources of the server will be split among the many users. This means that you will be able to use a portion of the server’s resources. How big of a portion? That depends on the plan you purchased. In every case, the description contains all the info you need. There you have written what resources are to be used by your own website.
This may sound like a bad thing. But it actually is a good and efficient way to host even multiple websites. Why is that? Because the resources given to you by the host, are more than enough to handle all your websites. And that’s true for other hosts as well, not just GreenGeeks. Later you’ll see what I mean when we take a look at GreenGeek’s shared hosting plans.
Overview of GreenGeeks – Pros & Cons
Now, what are some of the pros with choosing shared hosting over other types of web hosting? Let’s see:
- The price. This might be the most notable difference. Most hosting services (VPS hosting, dedicated hosting or reseller hosting) come for pretty big prices. But shared hosting isn’t one of them. It’s by far the cheapest among the others, with prices anywhere from $2,00 to $15-20. Most people can easily pay this much money for a reliable web hosting service.
And think about it! You don’t want to overpay something when it’s easily obtainable for less money, right? Many people are planning to earn money from their websites in the long term. Maybe you are one of them too. But until that happens, it’s best if you pay a reasonable amount, and then upgrade if you need to.
- The control panel. Almost every web host will give you access to a control panel. Here you can manage everything meaningful about your websites. You can tweak them to work better when you want to, or add new apps and features into them. The possibilities are truly endless. The traditional and standard tool in the business is called cPanel. This is more than enough to give you all the customizability needed.
- Another perk that comes with shared hosting is the ability to choose between many options and features. Most web hosting companies offer 2,3 or even more plans only for shared hosting. You can choose the one that best suits your needs. If you outgrow one, you can upgrade anytime to a higher level. The possibilities are huge in this area.
- The last bonus that I’ll mention here, is the fact that you don’t have to possess a lot of technical knowledge to be able to work with the chosen plan. All the maintenance is being done by the support team behind your platform. This gives you more time to concentrate on making your website stand out from the crowd. And the support in most cases is also very good. You can hardly find a web host that does not care about its clients.
GreenGeeks Hosting Features
Now that you know what shared hosting is, how it differs from hosting in general and why it’s the best way to host even multiple websites, let’s see what does GreenGeeks has to offer. First, I’ll list some of the options that are included in any hosting package:
- Free website transfers. This might come in handy, if you already had websites hosted at other companies. You can transfer them to GreenGeeks free of cost. Other services ask you money for such features.
- Unlimited MySQL databases. This is very important to organize all the data more efficiently.
- Free website builder. This tool is used to create custom-made websites in a quick manner. Basically, it’s a drag-and-drop tool. You have to choose one of the hundreds of free templates, then install it on your domain. Once you did that, you can choose prebuilt sections, and drag and drop them on to your site’s layout. Adding content is also important. When all is done, you can make it go online in minutes.
- Nightly backups: this is a feature that takes care of automatic backups. You don’t know when you might need a backup of any of your websites. So, if anything happens, you can restore a previous version that was backed up by this tool.
- Cloudflare CDN: Not many hosts give this for free. It’s a special tool, built specifically to make your websites load faster in the browser.
- Softaculous: this is a program that helps you install all kinds of applications and software, into your sites. It includes more than 250 scripts and programs free to use. Even WordPress is there. You can install all of them with just 1 click.
- SSD storage. This is a needed bonus. Instead of traditional HDD drives, GreenGeeks comes with SSDs. Your websites will receive a huge speed boost thanks to this.
- Free SSL certificate included. Security is of utmost importance in the modern digital world. An SSL certificate in mandatory these days. It encrypts all the data that leaves your site, so only you and the destination server can access it. Nobody in between is able to mess with it. This way, your users will feel safer when visiting your websites.
Hosting Multiple Websites with GreenGeeks
Now, it’s time to move on, and see what the different hosting plans have to offer. It’s a good thing, that all the 3 shared hosting plans support multiple websites in a single account. Actually, every plan supports an unlimited number of websites being hosted in the same account.
So, here’s your answer: yes, GreenGeeks can host multiple websites in the same account, without the need to purchase a new hosting plan for every new website. The plans are as follows:
- Ecosite Starter: $2.95/month
- Ecosite Pro: $6.95/month
- Ecosite Premium: $16.95/month
There’s a lot in common within the 3 separate plans. For instance, each one, comes with unlimited SSD storage space. This is needed, because you can host unlimited websites as well.
To be able to accept many visitors at the same time, GreenGeeks also gives you unlimited bandwidth as well. You can keep in touch with every email subscriber, because unlimited email accounts and storage is assured.
If you choose the second or third plan, there’s one more tool to help make your websites even faster. It’s called PowerCacher. Every web page should load in a second or maybe 2. And this tool helps you achieve that.
Something interesting about GreenGeeks is the fact that they also come with support for those who work as a web developer. The following technologies are all supported by GreenGeeks: secure FTP access and shell access, Perl and Python support, latest version of PHP, GIT integration etc.
The third plan is also PCI compliant. This means that you can create ecommerce sites easily without the need to worry about the regulations put in place for them.
We’ve reached the end of this article. Let’s quickly recap what we’ve talked about:
First, we’ve mentioned what shared hosting is and why it’s a good choice for multiple websites in one account. Some of the advantages for using shared hosting over other types of hosting were also listed there. For instance, I mentioned that using shared hosting is much cheaper and more user friendly.
Next, we talked about GreenGeeks. You can see that many features come standard, no matter the chosen plan. The 3 shared hosting plans are all reasonably priced, and come with many bonuses along with the standard things we mentioned.
The only thing that remains is for you to pick one that suits your needs. If you’re at the beginning, the first plan could be all you need. But if you’re coming to GreenGeeks from another hosting provider, there may be better to go with a higher plan. Especially if you have websites that are already popular and receive lots of monthly visitors.
If that’s the case, the third plan could be your best bet for success. The choice is yours to make. But this article is here to help you decide.